5 Tips to a Better Ticker
Summer vacation is filled with barbeques, beers, and sugary desserts, all good things in moderation, but which can lead to heart health issues if abused. Your heart is a delicate muscle, pumping blood to all the other areas of your body, and keeping you happy and healthy. When your heart feels strained due to blockages or high blood pressure it can lead to some serious health issues. Fortunately, there are several ways to improve your heart health, even during BBQ season.
Check out QuickrxRefill’s top 5 tips to keeping your heart in tip top shape this summer season and beyond.
1. Don’t Stop Moving: Summer is a time when lounging by the pool all day seems like the perfect afternoon. Unfortunately, when you pair lounging with greasy barbeques and alcohol, you set yourself up for failure when it comes to the health of your heart. Just because the heat is up doesn’t mean you shouldn’t exercise. Find ways to comfortably get moving, such as walking in the mornings or at night when it is cooler, or taking a dip in the pool. Swimming laps is a great way to get healthy, and stay in shape over the summer holidays.
The gym is a great escape during the summer heat, because most fitness centers have air conditioning and access to cold water all day long. This is the perfect place to hide out when the sun is at its highest point in the sky and things are getting too hot for comfort. Spend an hour at least 3 times a week working out your heart with cardiovascular exercise. Mix in some weight training twice a week, and you’ll be the envy of the beach, with the added bonus of a healthier heart.
2. Make it Lean: One of the main food groups as described by the FDA dietary guidelines is protein, but many individuals don’t realize what a proper portion of protein looks like. The amount of protein on your plate should only be ¼ of the amount of food you will consume in a meal. For most types of meat and fish 150g is more than enough to make a meal.
Protein is the building block of biological organisms, helping to build muscles and repair cells. Unfortunately, it can also be loaded with fat and cholesterol. Therefore, it’s important to choose meats and fish which are lean, and will lower your risk for heart disease, rather than multiplying it. Skinless chicken breast, egg, and lean pork loin are all good options. For those who don’t enjoy meat, fish, beans, and lentils are also good options for healthy protein.
3. Bulk Up the Fiber: Dietary fiber, such as that found in whole grains, plays a big role in digestive help, as well as hearth health. Studies have shown that fiber rich diets lower bad cholesterol levels, and decrease chances for future heart disease and stroke. You can increase your natural fiber intake by adding whole grains to meals that you might not use them in regularly. Topping yogurt with granola, for example, is a great way to add oats to your breakfast choice. You can also mix up side dishes and salad toppings to increase your fiber intake, create a smoother digestive process, and improve your heart health.
The best way to increase your fiber intake is by including plenty of leafy greens, fresh fruit and veg in your diet.
4. Sleep Well: Sleep is crucial to a healthy body, because it helps promote cell regeneration, growth and healing. When your body sleeps your heart continues pumping, but rests in a way that it can’t when you’re walking, running, biking, or even talking. Having a good sleep routine can be helpful in improving heart health.
Try creating a sleep routine which sees you hitting the pillow at the same time every night. After a while your body will become used to this routine, and you’ll get sleepy around the same time each day. This kind of routine will also give your body the time it needs to rest and rejuvenate.
5. Make Healthy Choices: The best way to keep your heart pumping properly is to make healthy choices. From the amount of water you drink each day, to the amount of fats you eat, each decision affects your heart, and in turn, your health. You don’t have to miss out on your favorite foods, but make better choices instead. Rather than eating that greasy beef burger with bacon and cheese, try a ground chicken burger patty in a lettuce wrap with a salad dressing topping.
Having trouble filling a prescription while your doctor is away on summer vacation?
WARNING: Limitations of Online Doctor/Medical Consultations and Online Prescriptions, QuickRxRefills Cannot and Will NOT Prescribe, Dispense, or Resell any and all medications Narcotics/Controlled Substances (this policy is fully enforced by the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA)) for Anti-depressants, Pain, Anxiety, Weightloss, Sleep, ADHD/ADD, Anabolic Steroids, Testosterone Replacement Therapy and any and all Medications that contain GabaPentin or Pseudroephedrine including non-controlled substances or any medications that are considered controversial, Off Labeled (Growth Hormone aka HGH) or recalled in nature such (i.e. Retin-A, Accutane). Furthermore, QuickRxRefills is not a substitute for an office based physician in your location nor is it a substitute for Emergency Medical Care or 911. If you do experience a "true" medical emergency your are encouraged to pick up the phone and dial 911 as soon as possible.